Landscape Horticulture Technologies
An appreciation for nature is a prerequisite for careers in the diverse field of landscape and turf management, which is experiencing strong growth in the Greater Cincinnati area. Horticulture students learn to combine skills in art, science, and business management to enhance the world around them.
The department offers three programs leading to an Associate of Applied Business degree and two certificate programs.
- Landscape Horticulture provides opportunities to specialize in landscape design and contracting, landscape management, plant production, tree care, interior plantscaping, and floral design.
- Sustainable Horticulture is an option for students interested in solving ecological challenges through new landscape techniques, such as managing stormwater and reducing energy consumption.
- Turfgrass Management prepares graduates for careers in golf course, sports turf, and commercial or residential lawn management.
- The Landscape Design Certificate allows students to concentrate on courses specific to landscape design and construction, and is best utilized in conjunction with the Landscape Horticulture or Sustainable Horticulture degree.
- The Sustainable Agriculture Management Certificate offers a concentration on specialty crop food production in an urban environment.
A significant number of students double-major in Landscape Horticulture and Turfgrass Management, to increase opportunities in the green industries, or double-major in Landscape Horticulture and Sustainable Horticulture. Another double major option is Landscape Horticulture Technology and Business Management Technology.
Because of seasonal employment opportunities for horticultural jobs, cooperative education assignments usually occur during the Summer semester.
For more information, please contact the Business Technologies Division at (513) 569-1620.